Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Woodland Vole

Woodland Vole
Microtus pinetorum
Dead Woodland Vole (killed by Blue Jays?).

 
   The diminutive Woodland Vole has to be, it must be said, one of the cuter residents of our forests. Yes, I did say cute. In overall form they are a fat little mouse with a large head, a round, plump, compact body, very short ears, and a short tail. The eyes are small. The color of the fur is a warm medium-to-dark brown overall with gray tones in the under-pelage.
   These voles are denizens of the forest floor where they burrow in the moist/soft soil under leaf litter and pine straw. I have had the good fortune of finding their tunnels present for a time in the area of my yard adjacent to a wooded fence row. The ground there was covered with a mat of pine straw which the little mammals appeared to tunnel through and in the ground underneath. Some exposed tunnels extended beyond the straw and leaf litter. The tunnel entrances were typically near where I'd often put out birdseed. Of course.
   One of the more memorable little wildlife experiences that I've had in recent years involved rescuing a Woodland Vole from a swimming pool. This afforded an excellent and all-too-rare chance to view one up close and alive. I have also found a freshly dead individual on the lawn after going to investigate what several Blue Jays were aggressively vocalizing about. I half expected to find a hawk or an owl or possibly a snake; something that Blue Jays might be expected to be mobbing. The only thing out of the ordinary was the sad little form of the dead vole out on the exposed short grass lawn between the fencerow mentioned above and a little plum tree with some scant cover around it's base.
Dead Woodland Vole (killed by Blue Jays?).
   If you keep bird feeders, especially near hedges or other cover, take a look around and see if there are any tell-tale little mole-tunnel like disturbances nearby. The fallen bird seed may just entice these shy and easily overlooked little critters to make your yard part of their home. Please do not poison or otherwise attempt to eradicate them, as Woodland Voles are essentially harmless, never infest homes or other buildings, and are not likely to become exceptionally common and therefore are unlikely to become destructive to your plants. Be glad that you have these awfully nifty little mammals among your yard's wildlife.


Best;
Jonathan Clark

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the information! I have at least one who visits me often at the fence line in my backyard where the birdfeed falls. I didn't see a way to upload the one really great pic I have of it. I have seen it at least half a dozen times but got lucky once and snapped a pic the last time. I knew it wasn't a rat or mouse but had no idea until I came across your article.

    ReplyDelete